Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blind Spots: Calling a Sister Out


Relax! I’m not calling anyone out. Chill.

Remember when I wrote about encouragement. If not then you can take a look at that here.  We are so willing to put ourselves out there to be lifted up by others aren’t we? Not sure I’ve ever run across someone who doesn’t like a pat on the back or a kind word every now and then.  But there is another side to that encouragement coin and it’s rebuking. The word rebuke just sounds harsh and unkind. But Gods word says differently.

If we use Gods word to direct us to what rebuking looks like then it would be something like what we find in 2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (NIV)

This gives a perfect picture why we are called to rebuke fellow Christians. So we can be equipped for His good works.

My guess is that we all have blind spots. Not driving blind spot where you change lanes too soon and drivers pass by with evil glares. Those folks need to just chill..it’s never on purpose.
I’m referring to the blind spots that encompass the dark places where we are unable to see the sin in our own lives.

What if we ALLOW a close sister to shine some light into those dark spots?

Psalms 141:5 says:
Let a righteous man strike me—that is a kindness; let him rebuke me—that is oil on my head.

Proverbs 12:21 also:
Whoever rebukes a person will in the end gain favor rather than one who has a flattering tongue.

This is a tough issue to tackle because I know if this is not handled in a loving manner (Galatians 6:1) I will be the first to get defensive and throw out every justification for my “blind spot”. For the sake of transparency let’s just go ahead and throw in pride, arrogance and hurt feelings.

We should be careful not to become stumbling blocks in the way of our own correction.

That word rebuke also means reproof- which means convincing a man of his sin.
To correct by restoration and to set right again.

It doesn’t look so bad now does it?

I’m convinced this is one of the truest forms of friendship. To expose a sin so one may be restored for their good works for Christ. 
Now that is some straight up good girlfriend love right there. 

Thoughts?..


No comments:

Post a Comment